Recognition of Professional Qualifications

recognition of professional qualifications in the trade and cooperation agreement


  • UK nationals, regardless of where they obtained their qualifications, must get their qualifications recognised in the relevant Member State.
  • EU citizens who obtained qualifications in the UK, must get their qualifications recognised in the relevant EU Member State.


If you need to obtain a specific degree, take specific exams, or register with certain regulatory bodies before you can practice your profession, then your profession is regulated.

UK: View this list of regulated UK professions and the relevant regulator.

EU: Check if your qualification is regulated in the EU.


If you intend to work in a profession that is regulated in the UK, this professional qualification must be officially recognised (also applies for temporary or occasional professional work).

If you were working in the UK before 1 January 2021; your qualification will already be officially recognised and will remain valid by the relevant UK regulator.

  • If you have used temporary or occasional declarations to work in the UK, you must get your qualification validated by the relevant regulator (see above) before 1 January 2021.
  • If your EEA qualification is of an equal standard to the UK, UK regulators will continue to recognise your qualification for a short period after 1 January 2021.
  • Different regulations apply to auditors, lawyers and healthcare professionals.
  • Further guidance on getting these qualifications recognised.


The EU system of “Automatic Recognition of Professional Qualifications” for sectoral professions (including nurses, midwives, doctors, dentists, pharmacists, architects and veterinary surgeons) will no longer apply to UK nationals.


  • EU citizens who obtained a qualification in the United Kingdom, must get this qualification recognised in the relevant EU Member State.
  • If your profession is regulated in the EU country you intend to work in, you must get your qualification recognised by the relevant authority in that country.
    • Each EU member state will decide on qualification recognition domestically.
  • If your qualification was already officially recognised in the EEA or Switzerland before 1 January, your qualification will remain valid.
  • Different rules apply to certain professional qualifications, including auditors, lawyers, pilots, air traffic controllers in the EU.

The information provided on these pages does not constitute legal advice and is subject to change in line with government rules and laws.  While BritCham will endeavour to keep the information on these pages as current as possible, we advise you to seek expert independent legal advice an any matters relevant to your situation.